marvelous chocolate mint cookies
I know, I know. It’s the first week of January. The holidays are over and you’re cookied out. But we haven’t had the full 12 days of Christmas so the holidays aren’t really over yet, are they? Plus, it’s not too late to celebrate the new year! Because I still have two more cookie recipes to share with you!
The first are these chocolate mint cookies that are really fast to throw together and fun to make. It starts off ordinarily enough. Cook up some simple but tasty chocolate cookies and you may think you’re done there, but no! This is where the fun begins!
Place an Andes mint on top of each cookie immediately after you’ve taken them out of the oven and watch the mints slowly soften into the cookies. And then my favorite part: spread the melting chocolatey minty goodness all over the cookie like it’s frosting. Because it is. Proverbially and literally, the frosting on the cookie makes this one tasty treat.
Happy New Year! I hope you’re celebrating with good food!
Marvelous Chocolate Mint Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 36 pieces Andes chocolate mints, unwrapped
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Melt butter and brown sugar in medium saucepan over low heat. Add bittersweet chocolate, cover pan with lid, and let stand off heat until chocolate melts, about 4 minutes. Stir until smooth, transfer chocolate to bowl of electric mixer, and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg into cooled chocolate mixture until throughly combined. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Roll 2 teaspoons dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until cookies are just set, 10-12 minutes, rotating and switching baking sheets halfway through baking time (if you are baking them at the same time). Remove from oven, top each hot cookie with 1 mint, and allow chocolate to soften, about 1 minute. Using knife, spread softened mint over top of cookie and transfer to rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes. (Cookies can be stored in airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.)