Shrimp, Pea, and Rice Salad With Mango Chutney Vinaigrette
We’re getting to that time of year. Store windows flaunt fall fashions and home good stores have nothing but the dregs of patio furniture and are now hawking dorm room apparel and locker adornments (do kids really buy this stuff to decorate their lockers? When I was in school, I tried to spend as little time as possible at my locker, although I still have nightmares that I’m back in school and have forgotten the lock combination). But summer is not over! It is not time to put away the shorts and deck chairs! It is not time for apple and squash recipes, as much as I love them. I say raise your forks and reclaim summer!
If you’re as ready as I am to enjoy every last drop of summer that we have left, then I think you’ll really enjoy this shrimp, pea, and rice salad with mango chutney vinaigrette from The Feed, bought to us by none other than America’s Test Kitchen. Joseph and I first made this last summer and were instantly hooked. It’s everything you want out of summer. Bright, light, fresh, and most of all, a whole lot of fun. Oh yeah, and so, super easy that you’ll be out on the porch sipping your sauvignon blanc in no time.
Because the recipe uses mango chutney, you don’t even need to cut up any mango (although it would be a delicious addition should you decide you want to). You could make your own mango chutney, but since I’d like some time on the porch sipping wine, we just use the bottled stuff in the “international” aisle of the grocery store. We prefer Geeta’s Premium Mango Chutney, but any mango chutney will do. We had to make do with a different brand for this go round (much to my dismay!), but it was just fine. More than fine in fact.
Really, do yourself a favor and make this dish as soon as possible. It’s the perfect way to celebrate summer and when those cold, dark days of winter arrive, it’ll be the perfect way to remember what you have to look forward to.
Shrimp, Pea, and Rice salad with Mango Chutney Vinaigrette
Adapted from The Feed at America's Test Kitchen
Aromatic basmati rice can be substituted for white rice.
- 11/2 cups long-grain white rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lime
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, cooked, peeled, and deveined
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 4 scallions, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup coconut, lightly toasted
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil in large saucepan. Add rice and 1 tablespoon salt and cook over medium heat until just tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain rice, rinse under cold water, then transfer to rimmed baking sheet lined with several layers of paper towels.
- Meanwhile, puree chutney, lime juice, and olive oil in blender until smooth.
- Toss the rice with dressing, shrimp, mint, scallions, and peas in bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with coconut and serve.